The National Kitchen and Bath Association's annual survey of kitchen industry specialists across North America gives "a true snapshot of the consumer psyche, providing an intimate look into the design styles, features and products that are shaping the remodeling and new construction markets." The following are 6 of the most noteworthy design trends excerpted from NKBA magazine's 2017 Trend Report :
1. For the first time, contemporary kitchens have overtaken traditional styles. More and more, consumers are asking for clean, uncluttered design and more functional space ... However, transitional kitchen designs remain the most popular.
2. White and gray painted cabinets and color schemes continue to dominate. Emerging cabinet finishes include blue painted and high gloss units.
3. Furniture look pieces, roll-outs, pullouts and under-cabinet lighting (especially LED) are all popular cabinet features. In contrast, the call for elaborate crown molding and built-in desks has declined.
4. Quartz countertops are in high demand! People love that it's easy to keep clean and requires little or no maintenance.
5. Induction cooktops and convection ovens are trending higher and microwave drawers are outpacing freestanding or built-in microwaves.
6. Kitchen technology is on the rise. Over 30% of NKBA professionals included wiring and pathways for future tech integration. This includes internet-connected appliances and docking stations.
Other noteworthy trends are: accessible design, adding wine coolers, under-counter refrigeration. LED light fixtures are now par for the course in most kitchen designs.